A Bowl of Raspberries
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (soy, oat, almond)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp cold butter
- 1/2 tsp almond or vanilla extract optional
- 1 cup raspberries fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp minced crystallized ginger optional
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 Tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 400° F
- Measure out the non-dairy milk and add the vinegar. Set aside for 5=10 minutes
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Mix.
- Cut the cold butter into the dry mixture using a pastry cutter or two opposing butter knives. When crumbly (the largest pieces of butter are pea-sized), add the vegan buttermilk (milk, vinegar mixture) and extract
- Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry with a large spoon or spatula. It should start to clump into larger pieces. If there are dry, powdery areas left add a bit extra milk in 1-2 teaspoon increments to those areas
- Once the scone dough is just starting to mix together, add the raspberries and ginger (if using) and gently fold in.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean counter, lightly floured if your dough is sticky. Gently knead the dough until it comes together, then shape into a disc, about 6-7 inches in diameter. Cut into 6 pieces
- Arrange the cut pieces onto a parchment lined baking tray. Optional: place scones in freezer for 5-10 minutes while oven finishes preheating. Immediately before baking brush the tops with a bit of additional milk to help them brown (if desired) and bake for 20-22 minutes or until the tops are golden.
- To make the glaze if using, mix together the sifted powdered sugar and water. It should be stiff but also drizzle slowly off a spoon. Add more water or powdered sugar to get the desired consistency. Drizzle over the scones once they have cooled to room temperature.
To properly measure your flour by volume: whisk the flour in its container to undo any settling, then scoop with the measuring spoon and level using the back of a knife.